Name Change

North Dakota law allows a person to change his or her name for any reason, except to hide from creditors or law enforcement. Completing the name change process in North Dakota is actually fairly simple, but there are often steps that are either neglected or completely forgotten without the help of an attorney who specializes in such matters.

At SW&L, we work with clients on name changes. We are here to help both adults and children in changing a name for whatever reason it may be. Our attorneys make it easy to legally change your name through the North Dakota courts and offer you guidance during the entire name change process.

Below are many of the questions we can and will answer before and during the changing of your name:

  • How do I change back to my maiden name after a divorce?
  • Are there any restrictions on changing my name in North Dakota?
  • Is there a filing fee for a name change in North Dakota?
  • Do I need to schedule a court hearing?
  • Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?
  • Do I need to have a background check completed?
  • Can I change my middle name or first name as well?
  • How do I change the name on my Social Security Card?
  • Does the Internal Revenue Service need to be notified?
  • How do I change my name on my driver’s license or car registration?
  • How can I change the name on my U.S. Passport?
  • What do I need to do with voter registration in North Dakota?
  • Can I change the names of my children at the same time?

Who Do I Need To Notify?

  • Banks & credit card companies
  • All of your lenders, including mortgage, home, school, and car loan entities
  • Your investment firm, broker, or fund manager
  • Retirement accounts
  • Insurance companies, including health, life, property, and automobile
  • Update your doctors, dentists, chiropractors, and other health providers
  • Accountants and other important service providers are aware
  • Utility companies – gas, electric, water, and phone
  • Professional contacts, organizations, and associations
  • Your family, friends, colleagues, and anyone else who should know of your name change

Contact SW&L Attorneys Today

If you are seeking a name change after a marriage or divorce, or for other personal reasons, our lawyers will guide you through the name change process. Our attorneys understand what needs to be done to change one’s name and will help you avoid time-consuming requirements that sometimes appear when going through the name change process. Call our name change lawyers in Fargo today at 701-297-2890.

Greg Liebl
Greg Liebl
Benjamin Freedman
Priscila Ulloa
Priscila Ulloa